REVIEW Life After 187- Wade J. Halverson


A TOUGH LIFE

This is the first time I’ve received a book from an author to review, and I must say, I was pretty excited. I read this during my train journey from college to home, and I wasn’t disappointed.


Publisher’s synopsis: Sentenced to a life in prison when he executes the men who murdered his wife, Kane Silver is singled out by the warden for his fighting ability. Along with inmates Valentino Lopez and Si’Ling Lee, Kane is drafted into service and forced to fight for money in high-stakes tournaments. But when the three friends escape during a New Year’s Eve match in Lake Tahoe- saving the warden’s life in the process- their situation becomes more complicated. Their status undermined, they vanish underground and sign on to help a woman whose parents are being held by an Argentinean drug kingpin.

Life After 187 was a pretty fast-paced book, a decent read on the train. It is a very macho book, and maybe it will appeal more to guys. There are similarities with quite a few action movies, especially Sylvester Stallone ones. The boxing matches sprinkled throughout the story are the highlight of the book- they are entertaining, adrenaline-packed affairs that I enjoyed. They were well described, and you felt as if you were actually there, seeing every kick and punch.
I had a couple of complaints. One is that the book was kind of rushed at times. It covers wide ground and visits many locales, but the developments at each place were not adequately described. In this case, a slightly longer novel would have helped. Also, the prison as described in the book didn’t seem too realistic. I’m more used to the Prison Break grittiness of prisons, and this one seemed less of a prison and more of harsh summer camp.

The book seemed poised to be the first of a series, and I would be interested in reading further. Thanks to the author for sending me a copy. You can learn more about Wade Halverson and his books by visiting his website.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

2 Responses
  1. bermudaonion Says:

    My husband likes Sylvester Stallone movies, so he'd probably like this book. Thanks for the review!


  2. Teddyree Says:

    I agree it's probably more a guys book but I really enjoyed the fight scenes which surprised me and I did like the quieter family/friendship/loyalty scenes too. Nice review


Related Posts with Thumbnails