REVIEW Charmed Thirds: Megan McCafferty



A FRESH START WITH A NOT-SO-FRESH BOOK

The first week of college involved us running all over campus to pay fees, get books and the like, and so I haven't really been able to concentrate on my blog. I've been complaining quite a bit about stress for the past couple of months, but I've decided to stop cribbing and take things as they come. My studies are to become a little more weighty over the coming months, and I may not be able to blog as much as I want to, but I'm not going to freak out over it. Blogging is a passion, not a chore, and I know I can find at least an hour a day to blog, but if I can't, I won't try to force myself to blog. Anyway, on to the review!

Charmed Thirds didn’t work for me; the angst was too much to take. Maybe I wasn’t in a receptive mood, but the book really tired me out.



Jessica Darling is now in Columbia University, and pursuing a long-distance relationship with the enigmatic Marcus Flutie. The book takes us through the ups and downs of their tumultuous relationship and Jess’ encounters with her college friends and the high-school gang she hated so much, while dealing with her parents and superficial sister.



As I was reading this book, I kept thinking that no person can be so negative in life. I’m a cynic, but Jessica takes the cynicism too far; it just becomes sour curd. She doesn’t have much to complain about in her life, but complain she does, over and over again. Honestly, the whine binge had me a little angry, because she expects everybody to conform to her standards, while she cannot maintain a positive outlook for even a second. I couldn’t sympathize with her, because many of the situations she cribbed about were brought about by her own doing: her choice to be polite to people she couldn’t stand, her choice to date a really weird guy, her choice of friends and everything else. As I said, this book probably didn’t work for me because I wasn’t in a mood for teen angst, but I won’t be touching the rest of the books in the series till the effect of this one wears out.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    *sigh* I felt the same way about this series, I could never really like Jessica 'cause she whined so much.

    Hope the coming weeks aren't so stressful at school

    Good luck


  2. Kristen Says:

    Uh-oh. I have at least the first one in the series and maybe the second too. Hope those aren't as unsatisfying as the thrid one seems to be.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I'm rarely in the mood for teen angst.

    Try not to let the stress get to you. Easier said than done, I know.


Related Posts with Thumbnails