REVIEW The Hunger Games: Suzanne Collins


PULSE-POUNDING ACTION

I know that I’m probably the last person in the world to read this book, and you’ve probably read so many glowing reviews of this one that you are too jaded to read one more. But I really must say how much I love this book

Katniss lives in District 12, one of the poorest districts in Panem, ruled by the Capitol. Every year, a boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts are selected to participate in The Hunger Games, a ruthless play of survival where the victor is one who can kill everybody else. Katniss’ little sister is chosen, and Katniss volunteers herself to save her. Katniss is a tough one, but she will have to use all her resources to stay alive, and also figure out the enigmatic Peeta, the other participant from District 12.

I started this book at around 8 in the night, and I stayed up till 3 in the morning finishing it, and then rereading some bits again. I haven’t read a book which has inspired me to read this way in a long time, and this was an awesome Christmas present for me. The dystopian future that Collins shows is scary and the Hunger Games a deadly version of Survivor. Each of the challenges that the Games pose will keep you on the edge of your seat, but the most horrifying thing is kids, no older than eighteen, killing each other to survive.

You are drawn into Katniss’ fight for survival and her resourcefulness, she has become one of my favorite characters, and one of my top 10 heroines ever. I loved the way she steps up for her sister, her compassion for Rue, her defiance of the Capitol and above all, her bond with Peeta. I was really sorry when the book ended, somewhat like Katniss.

I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go.

Looking forward to reading Catching Fire.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

13 Responses
  1. Anna Says:

    Glad to see you enjoyed this one as much as I did. It was a tough one to put down. I hope you're planning to read Catching Fire soon!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric


  2. Unknown Says:

    I have this one, but have yet to pick it up, it sounds great - not sure why I have not picked it up yet! :) I loved your review!


  3. Jenny Says:

    I'm glad you liked it so much! I read Catching Fire as soon as it came out, but it ended on such a tense note, I kind of wish I'd waited until all three had been released. :P


  4. Ivana Says:

    You're not the last to read it.
    I am.
    *sighs*


  5. Jeane Says:

    You're not the last person! I haven't read it yet either. By the time I do, there will be nothing left to say.


  6. Aarti Says:

    I haven't read it yet, either. Am slowly making my way through books I'm the last person to read, though. I read Graceling earlier this month and am now reading The Help!



  7. This is the first time I'm hearing about this book, and I'm wanting to read it already! The storyline seems really original, which is always a plus. I'll have to keep this one in mind.

    Emidy
    http://uneparole.blogspot.com/


  8. JoAnn Says:

    This is the third post on this book or its sequel I've seen today. Glad you enjoyed it - I am so late to the party...


  9. Sara Says:

    Yay, for joining in on the Hunger Games series! Great review and you sure won't be disappointed with Catching Fire! I would almost recommend to wait until the third book comes out to read it, trust me your going to be very very eager for the third :)


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I liked this book too, but it's not really my type of story. Still, it was good enough.

    AG

    Ps - I love your new layout


  11. Unknown Says:

    Hunger Games is an awesome book. Collins just has a non-stop action plot. Catching Fire is also a worthy sequel. I am so excited for the third and final book of the series :)


    -Eric
    From http://themockingjay.vndv.com


  12. Brodie Says:

    I never grow tired of reading reviews for The Hunger Games. I love it when new people discover the brilliance of this series! I totally agree with everything you said - great review. You're going to LOVE Catching Fire! In my opinion, it even trumps THG. Which is excruciatingly HARD!


Related Posts with Thumbnails