Sunday Salon: Jonathan Livingston Seagull: Richard Bach

The Sunday Salon.com

I loved it. I have no other word for it. I just loved this book so much that I read it thrice in two days, and I probably will reread it many more times.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a gull who loves to fly, one who is more interested in flying higher and faster than he is in mundane things such as food and shelter. But his attitude earns him a lot of brickbats from his flock, who throw him out. It is then that he meets a group of gulls similar to himself and learns the essence of flying.

This is a very short book, a hundred-page novella you will finish in an hour, at most. It is essentially self-help, but has none of the tedious morality or preaching that I usually find in self-help books. Its story is so simple yet so profound. Bach's story about a seagull who just wants to do what he loves most has inspired people around the world, and had a profound impact on me as well. Through allegory and metaphor, the story manages to make you experience the sort of diverse emotions that heavy tomes cannot inspire. It moves you and motivates you, exhilarates you and challenges you. Every line has a deep meaning which sinks into you and makes you ponder. This is definitely a book everyone should read.

And here are this week's giveaways.

Page Turner is giving away a Halloween prize pack, open till October 30
B.A.M. Book Reviews is giving away a Sarah Dressen or a Laurie Halse Anderson book, open until November 13.
The Undercover Book Lover is giving away Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick or The Exorsistah by Claudie Mair Burney till November 1.
The Eclectic Reader is giving away a choice of 6 books to celebrate her blogiversary till October 31

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

9 Responses
  1. JoAnn Says:

    I've been seeing this book around for years, yet have never read a review or felt compelled to pick it up. You have just changed that!


  2. You've convinced me! Jonathan Livingston Seagull is going on my TBR list!


  3. Aarti Says:

    Wow, I've never even heard of this book. Thanks for such an excellent review :-)


  4. Sounds like a truly inspiring book, one I must read.


  5. Jeane Says:

    I love this book too! I read it over and over in my youth. Such a wonderful story, spiritual and inspiring and thoughtful. Much more than just about birds flying around.


  6. This is one of those books you can read again and again and it seems to get better each time! Such a amazing book!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Oh, I had no idea that's what the book is called in English, I used to love it when I was younger - I even got a record of finishing the book, cover to cover in thrity-three minutes.

    I agree with you, it is a wonderful book.


  8. Just Mom Says:

    My second grade teacher read this aloud to us - I remember nothing of it! She also played a lot of Otis Redding records. Looking back - she must have been an interesting woman - too bad I was too young to appreciate it!


  9. rohit Says:

    Must be an enjoyable read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.


Related Posts with Thumbnails