REVIEW City of Ashes: Cassandra Clare


RUNE RUNE EVERYWHERE, NEED A STELE TO INK

This is the second instalment in the Mortal Instruments series, and I enjoyed how the story was developed, though I had some complaints with the pace.

Clary and Jace are struggling with the secrets revealed to them in City of Bones. Jace is locked up by the Inquisitor on charges of conspiring with Valentine, awaiting trial with the Soul-Sword. However, Valentine pays him a surprise visit at his cell, on his way to killing the Silent Brothers and stealing the sword, the second Mortal Instrument. Meanwhile, Clary and Luke investigate the murders of Downworlder children by some unknown force, and uncover Valentine’s true intentions. This discovery has shocking repercussions for them all, as Jace has to choose between his father and his friends, Simon has a horrible accident and Clary discovers the nature of her powers.

City of Ashes was nice, with its requisite share of chills and thrills. A few new characters were introduced, and some returned with a greater share in the action. But I thought that the book dragged a little in the middle. The sarcasm and witty repartee was in short supply, something I enjoyed in the previous book. Some of the situations seemed a little contrived, especially the entire scenario at the Faerie Court, which seemed put in just to add fuel to the Jace-Clary-Simon love triangle. But I got over these hiccups as the story progressed, and the twists and turns came to light. What I liked about the book was the whole setting, of a parallel city with its hidden strife. The characters were pretty realistic, no over-the-top drama for anyone, no wishy-washiness either. Valentine was also great as the villain, cold, suave and lethal, quite reminiscent of Voldemort. The best creations, however, were the demons; from Raum to Raveners, they were well-thought out and extremely menacing, especially the fear demon, Agramon.

Looking forward to finishing this trilogy.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

1 Response
  1. Belle Says:

    I have this one in my TBR - it's been quite a while since I read the first one, so I hope I can quickly remember all the characters! I'm glad this one is also a fun read, if not as good as the first one.


Related Posts with Thumbnails