Monday Movies: The Search for Jane


BECOMING JANE
Starring: Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy
Directed by: Julian Jarrold

Jane Austen(Anne Hathaway) is the youngest unmarried daughter of Reverend Austen, and harbours dreams of becoming a published writer. Tom LeFroy (McAvoy) is a brash young lawyer, who Jane develops an instant dislike for. They spar occasionally, but slowly fall in love. But their love is not easily fulfilled, as Jane's family is poor and Tom has many siblings depending on him.

I like period dramas, and I enjoyed this movie. It's supposed to be a fictionalized account of the posited relationship between Jane Austen and Judge LeFroy. LeFroy is said to be the inspiration for Mr. Darcy's character, and the script shows many parallels between Pride and Prejudice and Jane's life. Jane's parents are replicas of Mr and Mrs Bennett, her sister Cassandra so like Jane Bennett. I enjoyed the performances; Anne Hathaway was refreshing as the spirited Jane, and her chemistry with McAvoy was wonderful. Right now, I have a small crush on McAvoy; I liked his portrayal of the charming "bad-boy" lawyer. I'd definitely recommend this movie.

STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK
Starring: William Shatner, DeForest Kelley
Directed by: Leonard Nimoy

After Spock's death in The Wrath of Khan, the Enterprise, along with Admiral James T. Kirk(Shatner) return to base. But then, Kirk learns that Spock (Leonard Nimoy) transfered his katra or living spirit to Dr. McCoy(Kelley), Kirk and crew steal the Enterprise to return Spock's katra to his body. But the Klingons are after the Genesis device for their own evil ends, and Kirk must face many battles and losses to get his friend back.

After the recent Star Trek movie, I was really looking forward into my first initiation into the Star Trek franchise. But I was a little disappointed. I thought the movie was a little dated. Maybe I'm used to the glitzy action of today, so I found the action and drama of 25 years ago a little insipid. The acting was a little over-the-top and the whole movie seemed quite theatrical. Should I have expected this? I don't know. The original Star Wars movies are nearly 30 years old, but I loved them; there was nothing melodramatic about it. A disappointment for me, but I won't give up on Star Trek.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

5 Responses
  1. She Says:

    Ah, I LOVED Becoming Jane. It made me cry, and made me become absolutely in love with James McAvoy. Sigh.


  2. Going back to a post you did sometime last week, I was all set to watch and enjoy THE DARK KNIGHT when imagine, to my disappointment, we discovered we'd been sent the wrong DVD - we'd only been sent BLACK KNIGHT instead. We still watched it but it wasn't what we wanted and it wasn't very good.
    Thanks for todays choices by the way, We'll certaily put the Star Trek film on order.


  3. 3m.michelle Says:

    I just recorded Becoming Jane on my DVR. I love Anne Hathaway, and I'm looking forward to watching it!


  4. Unknown Says:

    I loved Becoming Jane! I thought it was very well done and the actors were terrific!


  5. Anonymous Says:

    You just made me want to see Becoming Jane, again - I saw it a good long while ago.

    It's a sweet movie.

    AG


Related Posts with Thumbnails