REVIEW The Princess Diaries: Meg Cabot

NOT-SO-PERFECT PRINCESS

Oh man, time really flies by! Almost a week without posting, and I didn't even realise it. Well, anyways, I read The Princess Diaries a long time back, but wasn't much impressed by it. I hear that it is a much-talked about book in the chick-lit genre, but honestly, I didn't like it that much.

Mia Thermopolis is your average high schooler, a little more average than she'd like to be, actually. When she finds out that her dad is actually the Prince of Genovia and she is next in line for the throne, life really changes for this tall, gawky teenager. She has to face princess lessons from her imperious Grandmere, while at the same time trying to figure out how best to keep the "princess" news from her schoolmates.

Compared to the movie, I felt that the book fell short in a large way. I was most disappointed in Grandmere. Julie Andrews had portrayed her to be a firm but nice grandmother, but the Grandmere of the book is not at all likeable. I actually didn't quite understand Mia's problem with being a princess, I thought it was every girl's dream. She doesn't want to be the average girl who everyone walks over, and she doesn't want to be the princess everyone likes. So what does she want? I know why the book didn't work for me: whiny narrators put me off at the start, and it's difficult for me to look past the constant complaining. Definitely not for me.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

1 Response
  1. Ana S. Says:

    Though I hear a lot about Meg Cabot, I suspect this isn't one for me either.


Related Posts with Thumbnails