Sunday Salon: Bookish News

Well, the news that the book world has been buzzing with is Neil Gaiman's winning of the Hugo for The Graveyard Book. Now I really want to have to will read the book, after months of procrastination. I'm also super happy that Wall-E has won, I really loved the movie. Here are all the Hugo winners.
  • Best Novel: The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman
  • Best Novella: “The Erdmann Nexus”, Nancy Kress
  • Best Novelette: “Shoggoths in Bloom”, Elizabeth Bear
  • Best Short Story: “Exhalation”, Ted Chiang (Eclipse Two)
  • Best Related Book: Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded: A Decade of Whatever, 1998-2008, John Scalzi
  • Best Graphic Story: Girl Genius, Volume 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones, Written by Kaja & Phil Foglio, art by Phil Foglio, colors by Cheyenne Wright
  • Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: WALL-E Andrew Stanton & Pete Docter, story; Andrew Stanton & Jim Reardon, screenplay; Andrew Stanton, director
  • Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: Doctor Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Joss Whedon, & Zack Whedon, & Jed Whedon, & Maurissa Tancharoen, writers; Joss Whedon, director
Another bookish article I found was this one about bookshelf etiquette. A witty look at how to arrange your books, especially if you keep adding to the pile at a phenomenal rate. A big thank you to Susan at You Can Never Have Too Many Books for directing me to this article from the New Yorker, about seven essential fantasy reads. It's a fantasy treasure trove, for people like me who have read the standard fantasy authors and want to discover new ones.

On the giveaways side, here are a few I have found:
All About {n} is giving away Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler. Winners drawn Aug 29
The Lateiner Gang is giving away Alvor by Laura Bingham and The Maze Runner by James Dashner till Sept 6
The Neverending Shelf is giving away Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater till Aug 21.
Suzanne McLeod is giving away Fire by Kristin Cashore

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

1 Response
  1. I challenged myself, when I was very young, to try to read all the Hugos. I haven't read one in a coon's age. Need to read these again.


Related Posts with Thumbnails