REVIEW Living Dead in Dallas: Charlaine Harris



TEXAN TROUBLES

I have been in a reading funk ever since I got back from home. I started several books to leave them unfinished, looking for one book to get me out of the slump. What a surprise when this one turned out to be the one!

Sookie’s normal life (well, as normal as it can get if you are a telepath dating a vampire) is shattered when she finds a body in a car outside the bar where she works. Add to that, she is sent to Dallas on an assignment by Eric to find a missing vampire, and finds herself embroiled in the sinister activities of a vampire hate group, The Fellowship of the Sun.

I enjoy Charlaine Harris’ style of writing- it’s easy to read and entertaining at the same time. There is suspense, there is romance, there is action, all of which keeps the pages turning. The characters are quite well-constructed, and I have a slight crush on Eric, and I get the feeling that he is going to get a bigger role as the series progresses. The mystery isn’t predictable, which is exactly what I want from a suspense novel. I didn’t like the plot thread involving the maenad though. The book was cruising along quite well with the Klan-like Fellowship, but the introduction of the maenad kind of messes the conclusion of the book. It seems to have been put just for some titillation. But on the whole, I’d rate Living Dead in Dallas pretty well.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

5 Responses
  1. Rachel Says:

    I have a crush on Eric too!


  2. Great review!

    I haven't read this one, but I really enjoy books with suspense. If I see this anywhere, I'll be sure to check it out!

    Emidy
    from Une Parole


  3. Jenners Says:

    I'm looking forward to reading this book during 2010. I do think this is a fun enjoyable series when you are between more serious books. I save these books for when I need an easy fun read. Glad to hear this one was as good as the first.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I read several in this series, but eventually just kinda got bored with it.


  5. I have books 1-9 in this series and couldnt put them down!!


Related Posts with Thumbnails