REVIEW Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: J.K. Rowling

THE CUP OF DESTINY

This book is a close second when I list the Potter books in order of preference. Rowling spins an engrossing story, one which has you gripped right from the word go.

Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts is preceded by a strange dream along with his scar hurting, ominous signs of Voldemort's presence. He attends the Quidditch World Cup with Ron and Hermione, then proceeds to school, where an amazing but dangerous magical tournament is being held for the first time in many years. Harry is excited, just like everybody else, but when his name is drawn as a participant in the Triwizard Tournament, it seems like someone is out to get him. But it's not just dangers that Harry has to face, but resentment and heartbreak too.

I read this book when the whole Harry Potter craze was just beginning to spiral out of control. There was a lot of hype around this book, and Dad had to buy the hardback edition (I was too impatient to wait for the paperback). The book completely justified the hype. Rowling writes with a deft touch; her storytelling is as engrossing as ever. There are loads of twists and turns (though you can't compare to the surprise ending of Prisoner of Azkaban), as Harry handles his greatest challenge yet. This is the first time Voldemort is actually seen in the book, his cruel nature exposed to readers; he steps out of the shadows to become a menacing villain of flesh and blood.

Like I said before, Quidditch is my favorite thing in the magical world, and to read about the thrills of the World Cup was really cool (I was so angry when they cut it out of the movie!). In The Goblet of Fire, Rowling puts Harry through much more difficult situations than before, especially that of losing Ron's trust. Honestly, I had been expecting something like this before, I mean Ron seemed almost inhuman in his friendship (I mean, he never did get jealous earlier). The hints of a Ron-Hermione relationship are loud and clear, and immensely funny. And Fred and George's joke items were just too cool; how I yearned to get my hands on them. But more than anything, I loved the maturing in Harry's personality, his presence of mind and his courage in handling Voldemort. This 700-page tome was captivating, with light and dark moments in equal measures, and ended on a high note, keeping everybody agog for the next one.

Did you enjoy this book as much as I did? Go on, share what you think!

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

0 Responses
Related Posts with Thumbnails