REVIEW Conflicts with Interest: Michael Ruddy


ENSNARED BY LITIGATION

I'm so sorry for the lack of posts this past week, my midterm exams are coming up, which, coupled with an erratic Internet connection, have served to keep me away from books and the blog. I will not be posting for the rest of this week and the next. This review, in itself, is long overdue, considering I read Conflicts with Interest a while back.

From the publisher: Sometimes life can be a poker game with a fortunate stroke of serendipity. Sometimes it's nothing but incessant bad luck. T.R. Morgan is playing such a game with his most feared situation as a builder: Defect Litigation. He finds himself caught in a nasty lawsuit against Steve Sanderson, a ruthless Bay Area lawyer. The problem- it seems, is when will T.R. lose his company and home over this lawsuit and how many times over? Or will his own gambling habit be his downfall? And is his new girlfriend, Catherine, actually who she seems?

Initially, I wasn't too interested in the story. There was too much convoluted legalese which made me feel a little bored, considering that it is more about U.S. law than Indian law. But you get to see a pretty accurate picture of how construction defect litigation proceeds and the unethical deals that abound, and how it affects a honest builder. The characters were a little one-dimensional, and I did not particularly care for Ryan, T.R's son, who I thought was a little petulant and clueless. This is a pretty interesting read, and I think it is quite relevant to people related to the construction industry, because, as I read in a blog, there are a few similarities with real-life characters.

Thank you to the author for sending me a copy of this book to review.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

5 Responses
  1. Ana S. Says:

    Good luck with your midterms! And sorry to hear the book didn't quite work for you.


  2. Thea Says:

    Good luck with your exams!


  3. I read this one a while back and found it to take a bit to get into but ended as an interesting read.

    Have a good week :)


  4. Veens Says:

    Came here from Shweta's blog.
    Interesting book! But I am not sure if this one is for me.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    blech! down with legalese and boring characters (also down with midterms)!

    x
    Aimee
    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com


Related Posts with Thumbnails