REVIEW Ice Station: Matthew Reilly


NON-STOP ACTION

I needed a book that would have zero love in it, after the romance overdose that was the Twilight series, so I chose this action-packed book. The Daily Telegraph called it “supersonically paced”, and I agree.

At a remote US ice station in Antarctica, a team of U.S. scientists have made a startling discovery trapped in an ice sheet 400 million years old, that can change the face of technology. Led by the enigmatic Lieutenant Shane Schofield, a team of U.S. Marines is rushed to secure the bizarre discovery for their own nation. Meanwhile, other countries are also hot on the trail. Schofield and his team have to battle enemies both external and internal, in a fight that could extract a very high price.

Ice Station proceeds at a breakneck pace right from page 1, and that worked okay for me. But it got a little frustrating after a point; I wanted the action to just slow down for a little while. Schofield seems to have super-strength- he dodges bullets, saves children, fights sharks, nukes a station and what not. The author puts him through some impossible situations through which he always seems to come out unscathed and ready for the next. The book read more like the screenplay of some guns-blazing action movie, and I felt it should have been made into one; it would have been more fun. But as a post-Twilight book, it wasn’t a bad read.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

3 Responses
  1. She Says:

    Yikes! Just the description of it sounds crazy! I love classic adventure stories but have never really gotten into any modern ones-- it seems as though they would feel too unreal. :/ hope to see this one in a movie though!


  2. Amy Says:

    It does sound like it would make a gret movie! Sometimes I like books like this. They keep moving, you don't have to think too much, and it's just a fun read without having to invest a lot of energy.


  3. I love Matthew Reilly's books especially his Schofield ones. You do kind of have to go with the flow though. They are all pretty out there but I love all the action. This and Area 7 are my least favorite but it's best to read them in order to really see the interpersonal relationships develop.


Related Posts with Thumbnails