North and South Episode 4


Margaret Hale and John Thornton, such a lovely pair. I’m no romantic, but I can hardly stop myself from replaying the last scene again and again, it’s so wonderfully picturised.

Thornton’s mill is in bad shape, and even a collaboration with the out-of-work Higgins to improve the conditions doesn’t work out. He refuses to engage in speculation with his sister Fanny’s husband, owing to what happened to his father. Margaret’s father passes away and she moves to London. She comes into money when her father’s friend wills his possessions to her, and she decides to invest her inheritance in restoring Thornton’s mill.

The chemistry between Margaret and Thornton is very cute, lovely in its quaintness. Their final romantic meeting is picturised in bright colours in contrast to the dull greys that dominate their previous encounters, depicting a new rosy beginning for both of them (I so fell for Armitage’s smile). Once again, I’ll say, I’m not a romantic: I usually roll my eyes at the final kiss, but I didn’t feel cynical at all when N&S ended. A word about Thornton’s mother: I thought she was like the Wicked Witch, but I was quite wrong. She is haughty, but she cares very much for her son, and is willing to endure poverty for his sake. A very strong performance by Sinead Cusack. Brendan Coyle as Nicholas Higgins was like this polar bear: gruff exterior, but warm heart. He was like the fairy godfather for the couple, building the bridges which brought them together.

This series has really inspired me to search out more BBC dramas. Right now, I’m on to Pride and Prejudice. If you have any suggestions, do share them with me.

If you like this post, you can receive free updates by Subscribing to my RSS Feed or by signing up for Email Updates

2 Responses
  1. icedtea Says:

    I really enjoyed North and South, too. :)

    Some other suggestions: BBC - Cranford (quite funny) and Wives and Daughters, both also based on Elizabeth Gaskell books.
    Bleak House with Gillian Anderson, David Copperfield with Maggie Smith and a young Daniel Radcliffe. Our Mutual Friend.
    2008 Sense and Sensibility. Emma with Kate Beckinsale (BBC is also doing a new mini of Emma, not sure when that airs.)
    Daniel Deronda with Hugh Dancy.

    Non-BBC/Austen: 2007 Northanger Abbey from ITV, Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma (film), Persuasion (film) with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds, Sense and Sensibility (film) with Emma Thompson. That was actually quite a lot of suggestions, happy exploring.


  2. Hazra Says:

    Hey, thanks a lot. That was a really comprehensive list, I'll probably spend some time checking a few of those out


Related Posts with Thumbnails